Wednesday, November 3, 2010
QCE Block of the Month - Paper Piecing Tutorial
Your kit may make one of several different boy patterns, but I have selected the most difficult one for this tutorial.
Please use your own scrap fabrics for face, shirt and pants
4. Sew with short stitches on line – sew all the way through the outside seam allowance, but not through the sections on the interior of the block. It helps to have a lamp handy to check from the paper side.
6. Build each section separately. Glue, sew, flip, trim, glue, sew, flip, trim, measure.
7. When all sections are complete – Trim exactly ON the dotted lines with rotary cutter and ruler AS YOU JOIN EACH SECTION TO ITS NEIGHBOR.
Save FINAL trimming of outside lines for after all sections are joined, as the seams always seem to take up more than I think they will…. quilting is NOT an exact science, remember?
11. Sew long strips of background fabric to sides, then square up block to 7 ½” x 7 ½”.
12. Check seam allowance and stitch length…. you can switch back to a longer stitch length for the rest of the block... make sure to sew yellow triangles onto paper pieced square with ¼” seams!